The Milwaukee County Mental Health Board held a public hearing on September 28th at Washington Park Senior Center. The Mental Health Task Force submitted comments addressing mental health care at the jail, waiting for treatment to competency, mobile crisis services, the closure of youth crisis stabilization, and the need to promote board listening sessions. Thanks to Steering Committee member, Nicole Damiano, for speaking at the hearing.
Advocacy & Alerts
MHTF State Budget Public Comments
Thank you to Mental Health Task Force Steering Committee members Montrèal Cain and Nicole Damiano for speaking at the Waukesha Public Hearing to share highlights of our MHTF budget priorities.
In addition, the Mental Health Task Force submitted comprehensive public comments to the Joint Finance Committee website.
If you can’t attend a hearing, you still have options! See below for options for sharing your comments with the Joint Finance Committee and your legislators. Feel free to use talking points from the Mental Health Task Force Priorities in your comments.
Can’t attend a JFC Public Hearing? You still have options.
- Submit written comments:
- Email: email@example.com
- U.S. Mail to:
Joe Malkasian, Room 305 East, State Capitol, Madison, WI 53702
- Post in the Public Comment Form on JFC website: Joint Committee on Finance Public Comment Website (wisconsin.gov)
- Key points to cover in your comments:
- Your name, where you live, and your job if relevant.
- Introduce your issue and how it impacts you or your family. Include a personal story or example.
- Make your ask – share the budget proposals that matter to you and why. And be sure to say thank you!
- If speaking at hearing, write down what you want to say and bring it with you. Be brief – speakers are limited to 2 – 3 minutes.
- See also Tips for Speaking at a JFC Hearing.
- Information about the budget
- DRW State Budget presentation
- 2023 Joint Committee on Finance list of committee members and committee staff
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services: Governor Evers Proposed 2023 – 2025 Budget.
- Wisconsin Department of Administration: 2023-25 Executive Budget proposed by Governor Evers
- Who Are My Legislators – enter your home address in the “Find Your Legislator” box
The Mental Health Task Force Steering Committee is seeking nominees for three openings: an advocate, a family member, and a peer (person with lived experience). Service on the Steering Committee is a leadership role. It requires some previous participation in the Mental Health Task Force and a commitment to the values and policy priorities advanced by the Task Force. Please consider applying or nominating a candidate – we’d like to hear from you! See the links below for the nomination form and details. Submit nominations by August 30th.
Questions? Contact our co-chairs, Mary Neubauer or Christine Apple, or MHTF Coordinator Barbara Beckert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On March 17th, the Milwaukee County Mental Health Board held a hearing to receive public input regarding priorities for the 2022 budget. The Milwaukee Mental Health Task Force shared budget priorities. MHTF Steering Committee member Moriah Iverson spoke on behalf of the Mental Health Task Force.
We need your input! Take the Milwaukee Mental Health Task Force survey on priorities for the 2022 Behavioral Health Division budget. We will compile the results and share them with the Milwaukee County Mental Health Board, BHD / DHHS leadership, and County Executive Crowley. Make your voice heard!