Join us for the September Mental Health Task Force meeting on Tuesday, September 12, from 3 – 5 PM. The September meeting will be held at Independence First, 540 S. 1st Street. We will also offer a virtual option via Zoom – but encourage you to attend in-person. Our speakers will address suicide prevention, recovery resources, and an update on Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Services Division.
Our agenda will include the following:
- Welcome – Mary Neubauer& Christine Apple, co-chairs (3 – 3:10)
- Meeting ground rules
- Suicide Prevention: What’s Happening in Wisconsin? (3:10 – 3:40)
- Speaker: Erica Steib, MPH, Suicide Prevention Program Manager; Prism Program Founder at Mental Health America of WI
- September is National Suicide Prevention Month. Erica will share Wisconsin’s strategies to prevent suicide and statewide data. Join us in this effort to raise awareness and increase prevention efforts.
- Materials and Resources:
- Read the Suicide Prevention: What’s Happening in Wisconsin presentation (PDF).
- MHA of WI: Education, advocacy, service
- Information & Assistance
- Strong Families Healthy Homes
- Wellness Counseling Clinic
- Coalition for Children’s Mental Health
- Peer Run Respite for Veterans
- Suicide Loss Support Groups (online, for those who lost a loved one to suicide)
- Alternatives to Suicide Groups (online, for those with experience of suicidal thoughts/feelings/attempts)
- The PRISM Program (free peer support for LBGTQ+ youth and adults)
- Prevent Suicide Wisconsin
- UpliftWI (free peer support warmline for the general public in Wisconsin)
- A Focus on National Recovery Month, including Speakers from The Phoenix and sharing recovery resources. (3:40 – 4:10)
- Christine Ullstrup, LCSW, CSAC, Meta House, will introduce our speakers.
- The Phoenix is a national nonprofit organization that provides free physical activities and social events for anyone in recovery or sober curious with 48 hours of continuous sobriety.
- Byron Thompson, Regional Manager, The Phoenix
- Jason Ciepluch, Volunteer Coordinator, The Phoenix
- Read the Phoenix presentation (PDF).
- Susan Gadacz, MHTF Steering Committee member, will share recovery resources.
- September marks National Recovery Month, a time to share the message that treatment can save a life and can help people with substance use disorders recover from addiction’s powerful effects on their brain and behavior.
- Milwaukee County Behavioral Health Services Division (BHS) Update (4:10 – 4:40)
- Speaker: Mike Lappen, Administrator
- Mental Health Board Report (PDF).
- Policy Updates – Milwaukee County Mental Health Board, State updates (4:40 – 5)
- Mary Neubauer, MHTF Co-chair and Mental Health Board member,
- Barbara Beckert, Disability Rights Wisconsin
- Save the date for the next Mental Health Board Public Comment session, Thursday September 28 at 4:30 PM at Washington Park Senior Center, 4420 W. Vliet Ave.
- Milwaukee County Budget advocacy – the time is now!
Contact your County Supervisor: Find your District and Supervisor (findyourcountysupervisor.com)
- Milwaukee County Executive & County Board Contact Information
Meeting materials will be posted on our website as we receive them.
Save the Date!
Our October 10th meeting will include the following:
- Granite Hills update from Angela Sanders, CEO
- State Warmline update: Maddison Wagner, Uplift Program Supervisor, and Jensen Bosio, Uplift Program Manager
- Mental Health Navigation Initiative, supported by INPOWER, to share recommendations for improving navigation resources with the Mental Health system
Our meetings are open to all. To register for the meeting, complete the form. Indicate if you plan to participate in person at Independence First or by Zoom. You will receive an email response with the Zoom link.
Chemical Sensitivity Policy
For the safety and comfort of all those with chemical and environmental sensitivities, Independence First requests that attendees please refrain from using any perfumed products such as scented soaps, deodorants, perfumes, colognes, and heavily scented fabric softeners.
ASL interpreters will be provided. To request other disability related accommodations, please email email@example.com as soon as possible. We will do our best to respond to all requests.