The Milwaukee Mental Health Task Force is seeking nominations for the fifth annual Karen Avery Award, which recognizes an individual who has demonstrated a commitment to advancing the rights of people with disabilities and to the peer movement. We are especially interested in nominees who have been active in advancing the rights and independence of people with mental illness. This award was established to honor Karen’s legacy and advocacy.
Please email nominations by August 3, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Letters of nominations should be no more than two pages in length and address the following:
• Why you are nominating this individual for the Karen Avery Award.
• A description of the nominee’s commitment to advancing the rights and independence of people with disabilities, including people who have experienced mental illness.
• Any work to support and advance the peer movement and elevate the voices of peers.
• How Karen’s values and/or her legacy are reflected in the actions of the nominee.
• Given Karen’s leadership as a mental health advocate, and her commitment to the peer/survivor movement, we encourage nominees with lived experience of mental illness.
• Given the focus of the Task Force, preference will be given to nominees from Milwaukee County.
• IMPORTANT: Include your contact information and contact information for the nominee.
The award will be presented at a Milwaukee Mental Health Task Force Forum Our Future Starts Now: Healing, Hope and Resilience, Tuesday, September 11 at IndependenceFirst. Save the date and stay tuned for program details!
Click here to view the Call for Karen Avery Award Nominations flyer.