Nominations are requested for the 2020 Karen Avery Award and the Marie C. Perry Award. This is a meaningful way to recognize the important work taking place in our community. Please consider submitting a nomination. Nominations are due by September 11th. The awards will be presented at the Karen Avery Forum on October 13th.
Please support the Milwaukee Mental Health Task Force annual membership drive. We need your support to sustain our important work – please join or renew your membership. Your membership will support our work as a positive force for systems change, cover a portion of staff costs to coordinate the task force, and ensure our programs are open to all. We welcome organizational members as well as “community supporters” – individuals who want to support the task force. Please return the membership form with your check by July 31, 2020.
Questions? Contact Barbara Beckert at email@example.com or 414-773-4646.
Here is testimony delivered to the Milwaukee County Mental Health Board by the Milwaukee Mental Health Task Force on January 23rd, 2020.
The Milwaukee Mental Health Task Force (MHTF) is pleased to announce the recipients of our 2019 awards recognizing outstanding leadership and mental health advocacy. The awards will be presented Tuesday afternoon, November 12th, at the 2019 Karen Avery Forum, “Pathways to Employment: Opportunities, Rights and Resources” at IndependenceFirst, 540 S. 1st street.
The 2019 Milwaukee Mental Health Task Force Award recipients include:
- Karen Avery Award: Mary Neubauer
- Rising Leader Award: Marie Perry
- Outstanding Leadership Award: Deputy District Attorney Jeffrey Altenburg, Deputy Public Defender Regional Attorney Manager Paige Styler, Assistant District Attorney Kelly Hedge and SPD Attorney Manager Dawn Rablin
The Milwaukee Mental Health Task Force is seeking nominations for the following awards:
Karen Avery Award
- Annually recognizes an individual whose work and values align with the legacy of Karen Avery, who was a respected and beloved leader in the mental health consumer/ survivor movement, and a champion for the rights of people with mental illness and for a strong consumer voice.
- Nominations should explain how the nominee has advanced the rights and independence of people with mental illness or other disabilities. Nominations may also address any work to support and advance the peer movement and elevate the voices of peers.
Milwaukee Mental Health Task Force Rising Leader Award
- This new award has been established to recognize visionary leadership by an individual who is a rising and/or young leader in the Milwaukee area mental health community.
- Nominations should explain how the nominee has demonstrated outstanding leadership to advance mental health and recovery values in our community. This may include one or more of the following: visionary leadership, providing outstanding service, effective advocacy, teaching and mentoring, and/or an ability to inspire others to excel in this work.
Complete the Nomination Form to submit your nomination.
All nominations are due by noon on Friday October 18, 2019.
Barbara Beckert at firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: Barbara Beckert, c/o DRW, 6737 Washington Suite 3230, Milwaukee, WI 53214
Additional information about the awards and nomination process is available in this announcement.